The things we should... esprit d'escalier!

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

The Devil In The White City

Can we exchange which books we are reading this summer? If you have 500-hours of forest hiking duty, you can exempt yourself from this game.

Currently, I am consumed by The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson (writes for Atlantic Monthly). I know it is a year old, but this is the Midwest, and well, you know...

This is the kind of book I would read even without the serial killer story woven in. I also learned a lot more about Frederick Law Olmstead, whose later life was not that dreamy.

I really want to know what k-dubya (S's dagaare name, I think) is reading.
--gh

1 Comments:

  • OK. I'll play..

    I just finished reading The Castle, by Kafka. Well, I didn't actually finish reading it, but then, he never really finished writing it. I got through the book proper, and through the appended pieces of manuscript tacked on to the end, but I gave up when I got to:

    Page 47, line 6, alternate sentence...

    etc...

    So I just started Breakfast of Champions, by Vonnegut.

    For once I have no plans for a book after that. Though it could be Nine Shift, or Shift Nine.

    Well..this doesn't include all the long-term committments..the journals of two previous no-goods, Ed Abbey and Everett Ruess..The biography of von Humboldt, which is my back-of-the-toilet book...Oh, and I can't seem to make much headway in L'etranger. French is a dumb language. Maybe the dumbest.

    -m

    By Blogger m, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home