The things we should... esprit d'escalier!

Saturday, June 19, 2004

Kapitalist Handbag

Searching for "Kapitalist" online, I thought I'd find many bands with that name, but apparently there are more named Chaotika. However, we might need a rule about any name that already has a dance club with its own handbag:

Then again, the name "Kapitalist Handbag" has some song title potential. Do you think the Beatles, or Metallica, or Beatallica came up with song titles first, then lyrics, then music?

Found an interesting trend searching for "Kapitalist Handbag" which lead me to "Capitalist Handbag". Seeing only 1,560 search results on google, I thought pluralising "handbag" would bring the search down to more Google Whacking potential. However, the search for "Capitalist Handbags" led to 31,100 results. This confirms the fact that capitalists like things in plural, because they can afford more handbags.

I am going to have to admit right now that I am more musical than lyrical. Without knowing what process Hetfield/Hammett or Lennon/McCartney used, I think of the music first, or at the same time. So, here is an intro:
  Middle Class Burden

F#5 F#5/E F#5 F#5/E F#5 F#5/E F#5
It's not my fault that everything's
B/F# A/E
so easy
F#5 F#5/E F#5 F#5/E F#5 F#5/E F#5
--middle class and white it's considered
A/E
a crime!
F#5 F#5/E F#5 F#5/E F#5 F#5/E F#5
My burden is explaining how I got what I
B/F# A/E
needed --every-
F#5 F#5/E F#5 F#5/E F#5 F#5/E F#5
job every loan every thing every
A/E
time...
(C) 2004


It looks more complicated than it is, more reflecting a lazy left-hand style with thumb (lifts for E, Hendrix style) and no more than 3 strings at once, but not all power chords (5). I think the next verse would be based on the subdominant (B), same riff.

This stuff is hard to write when listening to bachata and cumbia, but maybe that will enhance its style.

--gh

4 Comments:

  • I have an idea for another song, since I never understood what Steely Dan was singing about in "Deacon Blues." (You know this song whether the title seems familiar or not, it has the words "they got a name for the winners in the world, I want a name when I lose, they call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues." Wow, just looking at those lyrics makes me realize how good those lyrics are, even though I don't understand them.)

    Anyhow, MY song would be about the real blues of being a church deacon. You know, hospital visits, monthly meetings, preparing the communion cuplets.

    Some of these ideas may come to me easier because I probably have the most conservative leanings of the bunch. I come by it honestly, since my father hates conservatism so much. I must admit that I will be happy when the present neo-cons lose their collective voice, though. In fact, I think I am much more moderate than people suspect because I can laugh equally at (or with) Ann Coulter or Al Franken... (both too shrill for me.) Leading to another song title that I have used to describe my true political description: "Moderate Extremist."

    --gh

    By Blogger BlackLineFish, at 1:13 AM  

  • Great..ok..you can take care of the rawking guitar parts, Steve and I can write the lyrics (as Fairly Crass, we wrote first song titles, then incomplete lyrics, then music, then more lyrics), and Bennet can do the producing/mixing/singing.

    I think I could figure out that guitar part if I really thought hard about it, and practiced for weeks...and thats how awesome I am.

    -m

    By Blogger m, at 9:01 AM  

  • Yeah -- works for me. I'm chord-playing-ability limited. What's the tempo -- standard power-pop? Union folk? Straight up hardcore? Melodic hardcore? Ska? Or more of the \m/(><)\m/ metal?

    By Blogger RawkStah, at 9:52 PM  

  • Oh..and also, I was thinking we should be more of a hyper-neo-con type of conservative. Not just regular old 'decrease spending' kind of conservative. You know, dubyarock.

    Otherwise, people might not realize it's a joke.

    -m

    By Blogger m, at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home