The things we should... esprit d'escalier!

Friday, October 08, 2004

Poetic Justice

I am starting to feel guilty about my fake-FWD below. Today, the front cover of the Northwest Missourian ran an article on depression and it had a poem that was like 90% the same as mine. (It was different in that it was real, and it was better. For some reason, it does not appear in the online version, but you will have to trust me. It ended with some line about "finding her black cconverse washed up with the tide" or something.)

Well, I am glad this young woman expressed her feelings through writing, rather than harming herself. And, I didn't intend to demean depression. Still, I felt like I had to comment.

Speaking of coincidences, I received an email from a parent of one of my students who is at home about to have emergency wisdom teeth removal. I replied and assured him that I would contact Student Affairs so that all of her instructors could be notified. In the middle of my response (literally, the second line), Tyler comes downstairs and says "Dad, can you pull this tooth?" (Man, anything to delay bed-time.)

So, there I was yanking a baby-tooth from my 11-year-old's mouth. Then I went back and finished that message. Things seem to happen in threes, so I am anticipating my next coincidence. Steve, you would be proud to note that I did not bring up "irony." Oh yeah, and notice my use of instructor above. I tend to use this as the generic sense to refer to my colleagues. Some professors seem to dislike it (confusing the rank of title with the generic term for the figure at the front of the classroom) which makes me use it even more. I see no problem with it, and it seems technically more correct. (I don't want to say "Professors, Associate Professors, and Assistant Professors" every time I need to talk about one of us.) Oh, and I don't really think we are teachers. You know, no education classes whatsoever and stuff...
--gh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home