The things we should... esprit d'escalier!

Sunday, August 01, 2004

THERE'S NO ACTION..

Fine, you lazy bastards. Don't participate. I won't either..

Here's an easier one..So they're having a competition to suggest the most beautiful German word. Personally, I think of German as a utilitarian language, and not all that beautiful. But, I appreciate the way they tie lots of smaller words together to mean something complicated. For instance, there is probably a word in German that means 'go online to order a laserjet toner cartridge,' that sounds something like 'Gotgittinundtcartrichvonlaserinkeinonlein.'

So I'm looking for nominations for the most beautiful English words. Here are some of my suggestions:

-coffeepot
-lackluster
-somersault
-winnow
-slippery
-perspiration
-spinnerbait

-m

3 Comments:

  • Sorry 'bout my laziness, but I don't have photoshop, or even paint, on the computer they give me here, and I'm too lazy to go to the lab across the hall. If I were captioning that last FC, I'd probably say:
    "Mommy, nuclear winter sucks!"

    or,

    "Mommy, you told me Barfy [the dog] was visiting his family, but I found him buried under the tree."

    Some of the most beautiful English words:
    onomotopoeia
    remiss
    scintillate
    trillium

    Candidates for Ugliest English words:
    masticatory
    scrofula

    Funniest English words:
    squat
    bulbous

    By Blogger DrSchnell, at 4:49 PM  

  • I've always thought the word "pants" was funny.

    By Blogger RawkStah, at 3:59 AM  

  • Cool, the Waypath Buzzometer is on our comments area as well. (Notice the spike in "Conservative Punk." Maybe we have some real competition.)

    Apparently, Tolkien wrote this, I just stole it:
    'In his essay "English and Welsh", he put forward the theory that words have a beauty that is often quite separate from their meaning. He wrote: "Most English-speaking people ... will admit that Cellar Door is ‘beautiful’, especially if dissociated from its sense and from its spelling". The English language is full of ‘Cellar Doors’, words that are beautiful, strange, sensuous or simply fun to roll off the tongue. "
    --gh

    By Blogger BlackLineFish, at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home