The things we should... esprit d'escalier!

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Mr. Moore comes to Maryville

It was no where near as good as I have heard him speak on TV. Granted, he is used to audiences that are more condensed. This was outside, taking up about 1,500 to 2,000 seats in a 7-8,000 seat stadium.


In fairness, this was NOT an ENCORE presentation, like the ticket states -- that would be illegitimate electioneering. (If I was a Penn State student, or a PA tax-payer, I would be upset about next week's event. He is not discussing film-making.) At Northwest, he was only paid ticket sales. I admire Moore for that, he must have known that he wouldn't get anywhere close to the $20-30k he has become accustomed to. Oh, and he really did not take the football team on, I guess they didn't have too much time to print these or something.

My overall impression was that he was about as humorous as I expected. Many people think that he killed John Candy, but I liked the movie "Canadian Bacon." It was, you know, tender.

Back to Moore, he was sort of faxing it in, especially at the end when he was trying to whoop the crowd. (A difficult thing to do in an outside stadium that is not even a quarter full.) He passed out some clean underwear to some students that were promising to vote for the first time. I don't think this is illegal electioneering.

He was not too vitriolic, which was good for Maryville. He was not too coarse, either, especially in language. I think he cussed less than 10 times, and made only one reference to 14-year-old-sex. He made fun of the student Republican group that was protesting him with signs on the outside. I definitely laughed then, because I despise protesting and have disdain for protestors. (I grew up less than 20 miles from D.C., does it show?)

He might not have changed anyone's mind, but at least he gets people thinking. I like that he uses humor to get people thinking. This makes him a counterweight to Rush Limbaugh (whereas a feisty and mean Al Franken has a counterpart in Bill O'Reilly.) You do have to understand that I see Moore as an entertainer, so I don't get too worked up about his opinions, or in supporting people in general. (This is why I cannot imagine myself taping a bumper sticker to the inside of my window, everyone will let you down eventually.)

I will close this review (hardly can call it that, but I was there and you weren't) by quoting one of his closing remarks. He wants the slackers in this country to say:
"Bush sucks.  

Kerry sucks.
...and that is why I am voting
for John Kerry."


Maybe M can turn that into a bumper sticker for his personal blog. Personally, I *STILL* don't know who I will vote for. A write-in for Al Sharpton is still looking pretty good right now. Those debates were lame. Maybe they should let them box or something. I hate boxing...
--gh

4 Comments:

  • I would like to see the Bearcats vs. Michael Moore.

    -m

    By Blogger m, at 11:57 PM  

  • Also, I really, really, wish Kerry had chosen Al Sharpton as his running mate. Edwards is a dork. I believe I said that at the beginning of all this hoopla. I believe that was apparent in the debate vs. Tricky Dick.

    -m

    By Blogger m, at 1:44 AM  

  • I am watching "Reading Rainbow" on PBSKids. I know you have a limited list of shows that are worth while (Sifl and Sanford etc.), but this show really belongs on that list.

    It is almost as good as water, 17 times better than the movie "Contact," and 400x this presidential election.

    I would vote for any ticket with Levar Burton on it.

    Word is out that Marion Barry is running for city councilman. If you are not acquainted with Mr. Berry, just search google for this:

    "The bitch set me up!" +dc

    Man, what an electoral bumper sticker that was, and those tee shirts! If you lived in 69 square miles with 50% more people than Wyoming and no voting representation in Congress, you'd vote for him again.

    Go Barry!

    --gh

    By Blogger BlackLineFish, at 2:24 AM  

  • "Bearcat Football vs. Michael Moore" brings up many other interesting possibilities for matchups....

    "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders vs. Jerry Falwell"

    "The Wiggles vs. Howard Stern"

    "Cher vs. Motley Crue"

    "Superfriends vs. Larry Flynt"

    "Strategic Defense Intiative vs. a can of beans"

    "Cast of Torch Song Trilogy vs. Fred Phelps" (for those who may not know of Fred, he's the anti-gay Kansas preacher known for, among other things, picketing the funerals of AIDS victims with "God Hates Fags" signs.)

    By Blogger DrSchnell, at 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home